My 5 Self-Care Activities for Coping with the COVID-19 Pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has shook the entire world to it's core in the most unimaginable ways and as a result, abruptly changed our way of life. I'm sure most of us have been feeling stressed and overwhelmed by these sudden changes to our lifestyle, accompanied by the seemingly endless outpour of bad news. However, as humans, it is vital that we learn to adapt and try our best to cope with it. Now, I'm not saying that the virus is something we should accept as a permanent fixture in our society. Despite what some world leaders would like you to believe, it is still a very real threat we must work at daily to try and eliminate but until the day comes that we can finally bid farewell to it for good, it is important for us to try our best to not only survive it physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. 

Connecting and keeping in touch with family and friends is probably my favorite way of coping and distracting myself from the internal distress this pandemic has caused. But, it is also good to remember that you're not the only one struggling and the people you want to rely on may need their space too. 

Admittedly, I've struggled with trying to keep my sanity in check especially during the peak of the nationwide quarantine so at first, I relied on the internet, searching for some self-help and self-care tips. I eventually learned that you have to keep trying (important keyword here: TRY :) ) different activities until you find the ones that work best for you. 



So, today on the blog, I'll be sharing with you my personal favorite self-care activities that have helped me cope with this pandemic. 

1. PLAY MUSIC

Ever since I was a kid, music has always been a big part of my life. Though I'm not at all musically inclined and I've given up all hope in fronting or being part of a band, I have always been a huge fan of it. I even consider it as a dear friend of mine. Even during my darkest of times, I could always count on my favorite artist to comfort me with their music, and going on forced isolation during this pandemic where my thoughts have wandered to strange places was no different. In fact, when I have trouble putting into words how I feel, I could always find a song that can. 

I know that my taste in music isn't for everyone but here are some of my favorite playlists I personally curated on Spotify

Left: early to mid 2000s emo/punk; Right: post-hardcore and metal
Left: instrumental rock; Right: classic and 90s rock

2. TAROT READING


Tarot reading is probably my favorite hobby or self-care activity at the moment. Now, I don't use tarot to tell me my future or predict events that will happen in my life and if you're interested to practice it too, I personally advise you not to either. 

I love using tarot to help me get some clarity and organize my occasionally scattered thoughts. It has helped me in times I felt conflicted about a decision I needed to make or if I needed to understand an internal problem I was having. A lot of the card meanings can be quite detailed and specific so it is still the seeker's responsibility to interpret the cards to fit their situation and come up with the most logical answer to their question. 

There are a wide variety of tarot cards you can purchase online to start with (if you're a beginner like me) but my current "tarot bible" that helps me with studying the card meanings is the Holistic Tarot: An Integrative Approach to Using Tarot for Personal Growth by Benebell Wen.



3. JOURNALING


I used to be the kind of person who would type everything on the notes app of my iPhone or on a word document on my laptop. Due to recent events, I've found it more therapeutic to go back to basics and write everything down on a notebook. From my daily schedule, my blog ideas, my feelings (especially when I don't feel like saying them out loud), I jot all of it down.

Since the past few months have been nothing short of an emotional roller-coaster, I've filled pages and pages of my favorite notebooks with my messy handwriting- something I've come to regret a little because now I can't use them (or even stand the sight of them lol). Whenever I write down my feelings as they happen, it helps me process them a lot better and I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. 



4. BOOKS/TV SHOWS/MOVIES


I've put these three in the same category because they all serve the same purpose of keeping me preoccupied and entertained. These are probably the most common ways the majority of us have spent our time in quarantine and I can obviously understand why. Whenever I bury myself into a new book or when I'm binge-watching a show, I always feel like I'm being transported to a whole different world. 

When it comes to reading, I like easily read and easily understood books so that I can picture all the scenarios being described seamlessly. This is why I still read YA books despite closely approaching my thirties. When it comes to TV shows and movies, I enjoy a much wider range of categories and genres. Anything from documentaries, musicals, light and dark comedies, romance, drama, action, horror, and sci-fi, as long as it has interesting characters, a good script and flow, and maybe, a surprising twist at the end. 


Current read: Sad Girls by Lang Leav

Currently binge-watching: DARK on Netflix


5. GETTING DRESSED UP & WEARING MAKEUP


Nothing seems to lift my spirits and self-esteem like wearing an outfit I absolutely adore and when my makeup is on-point. I do label myself as a fashion and beauty blogger after all. 

These past couple of months, however, some days have been harder than most for me to even get in the shower and do my regular skin care routine. But when the opportunity comes, like when we celebrated Father's Day and my dad's birthday at home under quarantine, I always try to give myself that extra push to actually make an effort for the day. There's really nothing like the power of fashion and the magic of makeup to change one's mood instantly! 


What are your personal favorite self-care activities that you've been doing under quarantine? 

Let me know in the comments section below! 

FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Beauty Pageant Kind of Night

Beauty Shots to Love